Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 4: Download, Install, Uninstall

Despite obtaining a functional laptop, I have quickly found some problems to overcome.
The first is that whoever partitioned Bootcamp made the windows partition a tad too small, as I quickly ran out of space.
The second is that the hardware might not be up to the specifications required to do CAD work. Over the course of the day I downloaded over 6 pieces of software, often >3 GBs in size. None of them ended up being functional enough. Here's the list:
PTC Creo 2.0 - Wouldn't install correctly
Solidworks - Screen resolution not large enough
Autodesk Inventor 2014 - Wouldn't run correctly
Autodesk Inventor 2011 - Wouldn't install correctly
Autodesk Inventor 2012 - Ran, but very slow
Autodesk Inventor Fusion 2012 - Apparently needs support programs

Yeah. And since the HDD is so limited I was left to doing this one by one, having to completed uninstall and re-download any time I wanted to install a program. This went on all day...the saving grace was I could occasionally do work on our intern t-shirt design. I also got to see a talk by a professor about electron microscopes which to me was very interesting (and understandable).

Today (morning Day 5) I will investigate freeware alternatives and other recommendations to possibly get something to work. Everyone else seems to be measuring solar flares, writing code, etc. and I'm left to deal with mediocre hardware and software issues...
I actually ran a windows a windows index experience test, and I'm calling shenanigans, because these numbers do not line up at all with the performance.

Fortunately, there might be a desktop available that would be superior to this laptop (2010 MacBook Pro) if I can't get anything else to work.
For now, I'm off to install more stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment