Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day 26: Observatory Visit

Today I finished some more work, making some pictures and renders with humans in them so they'd have a scale for people to understand how large they are. Apparently I was the only one doing actual work yesterday, according to the rest of the interns.

The highlight however was the visit to the Mees Observatory. I'd been to observatory in Ionia before so this wasn't all that new to me, but it was still as enjoyable as ever. Before we went out, we had a little introductory presentation or "quiz". I was happy I knew all the answers to the astronomy and space related questions. I didn't know much about Star Trek though.

When we got up there we were greeted not only with a clear sky but a meteor shower as well. The Perseid Meteor Shower is an annual event that occurs near this time of year. I usually keep track of these events, but for some this was a new delight. Using binoculars we could see various constellations, Polaris, and many other objects. In the telescope we observed some globular clusters, galaxies, nebulae, and other celestial bodies. The only things new to me were the globular clusters and a constellation known as "the coat hanger", but many hadn't seen any of this before, so they were even more entertained than I was. I didn't take any pictures during this visit, but oh well.

However, I do have pictures of my work:


No comments:

Post a Comment